The Los Angeles Lakers recently parted ways with veteran center Andrew Bogut with the hope of adding some help on the wing. As a result, they appeared as the frontrunner to sign small forward Jamil Wilson to a 10-day contract following his release from the Los Angeles Clippers.
However, it seems the Lakers will no longer be offering a deal to Wilson at this time. According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, Los Angeles has rescinded their offer after reports surfaced about the civil lawsuit he is currently facing:
After planning to sign Jamil Wilson to a 10-day contract, the Los Angeles Lakers changed course and won’t complete a deal with the free agent forward, league sources told ESPN.
The Lakers reneged on the deal Wednesday after a TMZ report surfaced that a woman has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court alleging that she contracted a sexually transmitted disease from Wilson while dating him.
It is also reported that the Lakers have not completely ruled out the notion of signing Wilson in the future.
The Lakers haven’t ruled out the possibility of a deal with Wilson in the future, league sources said.
The timing could certainly not be any worse for Wilson, as the Lakers were essentially on the verge of striking the deal. That said, he remains a free agent for the time being.
Wilson had been released by the Clippers after making his 2017-18 NBA season debut in late November. He quickly established himself as a threat from deep by shooting 42.9 percent from three-point land in 15 games. However, it seems he will not be suiting up with the purple and gold anytime soon.